|Read great questions and
answers from our November 19th
Healthy Home Seminar
FREE SEMINAR --
HEALTHY HOME INSPECTIONS
A our Training Center in North Syracuse
REGISTER BELOW FOR NEXT DATE
By reservation only -- limited seating.
Plan to attend this informative presentation. Learn where contamination can
lurk in your home or office, and what you can do about problems with mold,
moisture, water quality, indoor air, lead, asbestos, etc.
See press release below.
Find out more about Healthy Home Inspections here.
Register 2 ways:
> BEST: Use our Seminar Registration page
> OR click here to reserve your seat by email (include name, address,
phone, and a description of your own healthy home concerns.
Q&A from our Healthy Home Seminar:
Attendee Question: What are the most frequently found
environmental problems found in the home that cause health effects?
ETG Answer: Unfortunately there are a number of items found in homes that
can cause unwanted and sometimes dangerous health effects. Items such as
radon, asbestos, lead, carbon monoxide, leaking oil or kerosene
tanks, poor or unsafe water quality, mold and moisture are just a few
that come to mind.
Attendee Question: I am a new home owner. A friend suggested that I
have my home tested for radon, but I don't know anything about it.
Can you advise me on radon and on how to get my home tested?
ETG Answer: Radon is naturally occurring, odorless, and colorless gas
produced by the breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water. Because
radon is a gas, it can enter buildings through openings or cracks in the
foundation. The radon gas itself decays into radioactive solids, called radon
daughters. The radon daughters attach to dust particles in the air, and can be
inhaled. The inhalation of radon daughters has been linked to lung cancer.
You can get radon detection devices from us here at ETG, at many hardware
and home improvement stores, or by contacting the EPA's National Radon
Hotline (1-800-SOS-RADON). These devices are left in the home and indicate
whether there might be a radon problem. If results indicate that your home
has a level exceeding 4 picocuries per liter (pC/L), you will want to test your
home again or talk to an experienced tester to obtain suggestions on how to
remedy the situation.
Attendee Question: How do molds grow in my home?
ETG Answer: There are molds that can grow on wood, ceiling tiles, wallpaper,
paints, carpet, sheet rock, and insulation. When excess moisture or water
builds up in your home from say, a leaky roof, high humidity, or flooding,
conditions are often ideal for molds. Longstanding moisture or high humidity
conditions and mold growth go together. Once mold spores settle in your
home, they need moisture to begin growing and digesting whatever they are
growing on. Realistically, there is no way to rid all mold and mold spores from
your home; the way to control mold growth is to control moisture.
Attendee Question: What are some things I can do to prevent mold?
ETG Answer: Remember- preventing mold is all about managing moisture.
Keep the relative humidity in your home between 20% -50%. This includes
your basement, crawl space, and attic. Using central air-conditioning,
dehumidifiers, and proper ventilation can all help to prevent mold. You should
also encourage air circulation in all parts of your home with a properly
designed forced air heating-A/C system, using ceiling fans, installing louvered
closet doors, etc. And attend to leaks and spills immediately. If you allow
water to accumulate on building materials then mold can start to grow in a little
as 48 hours.
Attendee Question: Should I ventilate my crawl space?
ETG Answer: There are many types of crawl spaces, and therefore a number
of different approaches to managing moisture and mold in them. A qualified
building professional can look at the placement of insulation, vapor barriers,
foundation vents, and other factors and determine a recommendation for your
particular situation. We routinely offer this type of advice as part of our
Healthy Home Inspection process.
Attendee Question: How can molds affect my health?
ETG Answer: If you have allergies or asthma, you may be sensitive to molds.
You may experience skin rash, running nose, eye irritation, cough,
congestion, and aggravation of asthma. Also if you have an immune
suppression or underlying lung disease, you may be at increased risk for
infections from molds. Generally, the majority of common molds are not a
concern to someone who is healthy there are several molds that are toxic and
therefore testing is recommended.
When necessary, some resourceful molds produce toxins in defense against
other molds and bacteria called mycotoxins. Depending on exposure level,
these mycotoxins may cause toxic effects in people, also. Fatigue, nausea,
headaches, and respiratory and eye irritation are some symptoms that may
be experienced from exposure to mycotoxins. If you or your family members
have health problems that you suspect are caused by exposure to mold, you
should consult with your physician.
Environmental Technical Group, Inc.
7280 Caswell Street
North Syracuse, NY 13212
Copyright © 2005 Environmental Technical Group, Inc.